Friday, May 29, 2015

Keep On Keeping On, or: Top Ten Reasons to Continue Writing

I've been struggling lately, so I'm going to talk about it. I'm working on the third book in a historical romance series. The first book, Gambling on the Outlaw, will be released June 23, 2015 through Entangled Publishing. It should be available for preorder soon.

I wrote book two (still untitled because I suck at titles) and turned that in to my editor in February. I struggled with formulating a plot and writing that book, but I had six months to do it, and I diligently went to work on plotting in Month One, and started writing in Month Two. I completed the first draft in Month Four, edited it, sent it to betas, edited more, and turned it into the editor two weeks early.

Now I'm facing book three. I know who the heroine is. I know who the hero is. I have some general plot notes. And yet, I can't sit the fuck down and write the damn book.

I've had six months to write this book, as well. The deadline is August 31. This means I've already piddled away three of my six months.

At this point, I'm paralyzed by fear...fear of the deadline, fear that I can't inhabit the characters, fear that the words won't come, fear that it'll suck hard.

I keep telling myself that I haven't written anything yet because I've been so busy with everything else in my life, and as soon as that stuff's cleared up, I'll be free to write. But the truth is, I'm just fucking terrified.



Which brings me to the point of this whole rant: I know I'm not the only one who feels this when faced with writing a book. If, as authors, we're so discouraged, distressed, intimidated, by the job of writing...why do we even do it???

Here are my Top Ten Reasons to Continue Writing (in no particular order):

1. Because creating people and worlds is as close to magic as I'll ever get.

2. Because my brain won't shut up, so I may as well get something out of it.

3. Because it's illegal to kidnap people and make them act out the stories in my head (yes, you've seen versions of this as a meme...but it's TRUE).

4. Because it allows me to be someone else, somewhere else, doing something else, and exploring the things I'm afraid of.

5. Because the characters in my head beg me to tell their stories (even if I'm afraid I won't be able to tell them well).

6. Because it allows me to escape reality, which can sometimes be a prison.

7. Because (if I'm a lucky writer) I've signed a contract and I'm on deadline.

8. Because it was my first true love in life and even after I spurned it for years, it's always been there

9. Because everything around me every day is fresh storytelling material and I must use it!

10. Because it's as necessary to my life as breathing.


Okay, I feel a little better now. Reminding myself why I write helps motivate me to sit down and get it done.
 


When you're faced with the fear monster, why do you keep doing it?


~Margaret

4 comments:

  1. That must be incredibly frustrating. I hope the story takes shape for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takes me a whole year to spit out a novel. Six months would terrify me, too!

    Good luck.
    In gratitude,
    Marissa xo

    ReplyDelete