Monday, September 28, 2015

What's Your Sign? Character Development

Creating characters is hard. Sometimes it can be difficult to create a realistic personality. Characters can be based off of real life people, or ones from TV or movies, but how can you dig deeper? How can you give them more life?





My literary agent recommended I look into astrology. That requires extra work, but in the end I found it to be worth it. I had to ask myself some questions I didn't consider. What month was the character born? What day? Which sign do they fall under? Astrological signs have been used for centuries to determine personality traits.


With the above chart, found here, you can determine different behaviors for your character. Like with my sign, Libra. It says Libra's can be charming, idealistic and peaceable, all traits that I have in my personality. It also says I can be gullible, indecisive and flirty, which are also true. Knowing these things gives your character an addtional layer. It makes them more relatable.




Next time you plot out characters, dig a little deeper. Figure out their date of birth, find out their sign and see what traits make these characters who they are. You never know what you might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment