Thursday, January 14, 2016

Slaying Daemons: The Dark Side of the Keyboard

Once more unto the breach, dear friends. The raging war outside our wall persists, and circumstances seemingly beyond our control loom large.  

A sense of agnostic despair tells us to ignore the carnage, to pretend evil doesn’t exist, and to that end we silently recite the Serenity Prayer, especially that one liberating line—serenity to accept the things we cannot change. But those other lines haunt us. We don’t want to remember them, and yet we do: The courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
There sits the keyboard.
An unassuming object, it is neither good nor bad. Once touched by human hands, it becomes something else entirely. A rabbit hole of endless sordid distraction and entertainment, or a powerful weapon against dark forces, against the Goliath many see but cannot acknowledge.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears…We hear the screams, we see the invisible daemons in our midst, cloaked and deadly. It’s time to fight. We sense it, deep inside our souls. It’s overwhelming and we want to hide, we want to close our eyes and cover our ears. The rabbit hole beckons, offering hours of superficial escape with which to pass the time.  
Or close up the wall with our English dead. Will we have the courage to change the things we can?
There sits the keyboard. Once more.



"Are you up for this? Are you? Look, I just need to know...because the city is flying. We're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense. But I'm going back out there because it's my job, okay?" ~ Avengers: Age of Ultron




Note: All background images purchased from www.Fotolia.com.

6 comments:

  1. "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
    Lewis Carroll
    Alice in Wonderland

    Thanks for the reminder, Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that quote. Can't wait for Burton's version of Through the Looking Glass!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Your job is done. I'm off to the keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte! May the battle of words be in your favor today. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love this Blog, Anna. I feel the same when I join my character Lilith in the blood slick fight against the evil of the world, Anna.

    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day... Liam Neeson The Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Blog, Anna. I feel the same when I join my character Lilith in the blood slick fight against the evil of the world, Anna.

    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day... Liam Neeson The Grey.

    ReplyDelete